Silica Quartz mine is situated outside Delmas, on the border of Mpumalanga and Gauteng. In operation since 1972, Silica Quartz is among the largest producer of high-quality silica in South Africa, used primarily in the production of glass and graded sand. The operation comprises an open pit, crushing, wet and dry screening processing plants for full beneficiation.
The impressive opencast mine supplies high grade silica sand and grit to the glass, industrial, mining, filtration and leisure industries. Extensively used in water purification, filtration, separation and the glass industry, our product is dried and sized to meet the specific needs of our valued customers.
Silica Quartz’s ISO 9001 accreditation ensures not only the highest quality product, but further guarantees strict standards in regards to plant maintenance and service quality.
Since purchasing the mine in 2006, Silica Quartz now boasts production plant with impressive speed of production, and versatility in making any product or new product developments. Our product is always carefully recovered with the awareness that what we do, and how we do it, affects our surroundings. At Silica Quartz, we know the earth holds us accountable for our actions, and we are committed and invested to responsible in mining practices that minimise our impact on the environment, as well as safety and health of the community and employees.
The company has embarked on a transformation restructuring process which will result in a new ownership structure. The company is currently owned by Consol Holdings, with a shareholding of 70% and the remaining 30% is owned by the employees and management. Energised by this new alliance, the company proudly looks to a brighter future. With a life of mine exceeding thirty years, Silica Quartz is positioned to provide a reliable and sustainable supply of high quality silica sand, grit and stone for many years to come.